How Important Is MSPE for IMG and What Is It??
The Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE), formally called the Dean’s Letter, is a vital part of your residency application. It is written to reflect all that you have done during your time at medical school and will evaluate your abilities and achievements. Written well like our sample MSPE for IMG application it can make your application truly stand out and help support your personal statement, externship for IMG, and other information in showing that you are the best applicant to select.
However, as it is an evaluation of your whole time at medical school you have ample opportunity to enhance what will appear within it. After all you will want to ensure that it reflects you in the best possible light. The good thing is that the document is rarely written in isolation and without your knowledge. Mostly you will be involved in the writing process right from the start.
Getting the wording right and making an impression through the dean’s letter for IMG, however, is not always easy. This is why you may want to follow our advice or use our professional support to ensure that yours will be written perfectly.
What Will Your MSPE Cover?
If you are wondering what is MSPE for IMG then it will help to understand just what is covered within it. The medical student performance evaluation for IMG is split into just 6 sections and should be no longer than 7 pages in length. The six sections of your MSPE are:
- Identifying Information: this is your basic information such as your name.
- Noteworthy characteristics: formally known as unique characteristics this is your opportunity to show off what makes you different to the other applicants. This is almost always delivered in your own words.
- Academic history: this section provides a detailed breakdown of your time at school and any gaps in your time there and other information.
- Academic progress: this is one of the most important parts of the letter and will contain evaluations of your rotations, preclinical and basic science coursework.
- Summary: this section will summarize your performance and compare you to your peers.
- Medical school information: this section provides the information covering the specific program that you have followed within the school and other school data.
What Is Not Covered Within the MSPE Dean’s Letter IMG
The MSPE is not a document that will cover everything about you in total detail. After all, you are expected to also submit your exam results, resume, personal statement and a host of other information. So your MSPE will not include things such as:
- Individual grades for your basic sciences
- No Comp examination results
- The results of shelf examinations
What Has Changed Within the MSPE
The medical school performance evaluation is done through the guidance of the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC). They have recently made changes to the requirements of the MSPE. So you will need to check that any sample MSPE for IMG that you look at meets the new requirements. AAMC Recommendations for MSPE changes include all of these:
- Change unique characteristics to noteworthy characteristics
- Limit noteworthy characteristics to just three
- To place comparative data in the main body of the letter not in appendices
- To require school-wide comparisons
- Include professionalism
- Limit the length of the MSPE to 7 pages in 12pt font, single spaced
Is MSPE Necessary for IMG Applications and Can it Be Used as a Letter of Recommendation?
Your MSPE is a necessary part of your application along with your ECFMG status report, personal statement, and letters of recommendation. It cannot, however, replace your letters of recommendation as they are separate letters that should be sent to support your application.
What IMG Applicants Can We Support?
Our services can be accessed from anywhere in the world so we are able to support IMGs that are applying from any country. US-based residencies are applied to by graduates that have studied in many other countries and we can support them all. ECFMG data shows that the most common countries that applicants are accepted from outside of the US are:
- Saudi Arabia
What Specialties Are Filled by IMG Applicants?
Whether you are applying to IMG friendly family medicine residency programs or any others you will want to ensure that your dean’s letter will make your application stand out.
The following according to data collected by Med Fools are the most IMG friendly specialties that you could apply to:
- Internal medicine
- Family practice
- Obstetrics / Gynecology
- Emergency Medicine
- General Surgery
What Can You Do If You Are Not Happy with Your MSPE Letter?
Your evaluations for rotations and other subjects are made throughout your time at med school and you will be able to review them as they are created. So if you have any issues with anything that is said within any of them you should be raising it with the writer as they are submitted for your dean’s letter. You can challenge the content of any evaluation and ask for it to be changed.
Your noteworthy characteristics are also completely under your control. So ensure that you have something worthwhile to include in this section of the letter. You will only be able to write a couple of sentences for each of your 3 characteristics so you need to make them count.
Our professional services will be able to help you to draft all of your information for your MSPE in a way that is going to help get you noticed. We provide professional support through experts that fully understand just what your residency program will be looking for within your MSPE.
What Documents Can Our Services Help With?
Our residency application services are able to support you with the whole of your application through ERAS. We know the application process inside out as well as what the individual programs will be seeking from each applicant. Our services can help you to submit documentation that will be outstanding such as:
- Letters of recommendation
- Personal statements
The Benefits of Working with Our Professional IMG Residency Application Services
We know just how hard it can be for an IMG to land a residency place and will provide you with all of the professional support that you will need to make your dreams reality. Through us you will gain:
- Direct access to postgraduate qualified experts with many years of experience with ERAS applications.
- Fully tailored documentation for your application and unlimited revisions to ensure your MSPE and other documents are written just as you want them.
- Totally original writing for your MSPE. We don’t copy or write to a simple formula every time. Your writing will always be unique an supplied with a plagiarism report.
- Full proofreading of all of our services to ensure that your documents are free from any typos and other mistakes.
- A money back full satisfaction guarantee.